Rated 4 out of 5
┬áby mkfallon Gilded goodness! -- but a little poufy in the hips
1. I can freely admit I gasped in delight a little when I saw this skirt online and it was just as gorgeous when it arrived :)
2. There are three layers to the skirt. The top layer is the gold lace work. It's detached from the middle layer which seems to be a soft and flouncy organza type of material. And then finally the lining at the very bottom is poly. Even though there are three layers, the skirt is not overly heavy and the layers all seem to lay well together.
3. The product shot is accurate in the way the colors look. The gold is quite pretty - there's a slight tarnish to it making it seem more vintage than shiny or gaudy. The black is a soft black (i.e. not super dark). My favorite part of the skirt is the intricate lace, which in certain parts looks kind of like delicate spiderwebs. This lace overlay stops about an inch from the bottom of the skirt so the very bottom is just the organza peeking through.
4. In learning from past experiences that the Eva Franco brand tends to run a little small, I sized up from my usual 4 to a 6 and that was the right call for me. The waistband on a 6 is about 27" so I'd probably recommend going up at least one size for comfort. The length of the skirt is 20" and came two inches above my knee at 5'5" (though note your legs can be seen in the last bottom inch because of the design) so it probably appears a little shorter on than it actually is.
5. It's an A-line silhouette. Dry-clean only. But the only reason I wouldn't give this skirt 5 stars is that there is some weird extra fabric that bunches at the hip area and creates overall extra width (you can see this on the model shot as well). I don't think it's because of the layers nestled on top of each other, but just some type of inverted seaming maybe. If you're conscious about that area of your body, it'll probably draw more attention to it -- especially because the shorter skirt proportions make the hippy-ness seem more obvious. It wasn't a deal-breaker on my hourglass figure, but maybe more noticeable compared to other A-line skirts that usually flare out smoothly. The other observation is that because the gold netting is not attached to the underneath layer, it seems it would be a little more fragile/prone to snags than it would be otherwise.
6. Ultimately, I feel pretty wearing the skirt! It's probably a little pricey but I think the quality/workmanship of the Eva Franco brand are there -- the only real shame was the fit of the hip area, which was not awful but not perfect either. If you don't mind that though, this is a lovely skirt that will take you from parties to the holiday season beautifully. I'm wearing mine with a black cropped jacket for now, and black tights for later.
August 29, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5┬áby AllToAll Gilded beauty
This skirt is pretty stunning. It does run small, however. I am normally a 4 in everything and the 6 fit me perfectly. Another reviewer commented on it being poufy at the hips, and I agree with that when it's worn as a side zip (apparently how it's meant to be worn). I did some maneuvering and feel that there is much less pouf in the hips when the zipper is turned to be in the back center. The lace is beautiful, though be careful not to have it get caught on things. I nearly tripped because the lace got caught on the hook on the doorway of the dressing room (though I suppose this is a testament to the good quality and strength of the lacework as it did not give or rip in the slightest). This will be a fantastic fall piece, with black tights, boots and a sweater. Highly recommend!
September 18, 2013
Rated 2 out of 5┬áby aro13 WARNING!!! DRY CLEAN DISASTER!
The skirt is gorgeous as described; however, my sister-in-law borrowed it and took it to be dry cleaned; (it says "Dry clean only" ) it came back with all of the gold flowers turned BLACK! I do not know if this is the fault of the dry cleaner or the skirt, but Anthro returned it and sent a new one immediately. Just a warning about dry cleaning!!!
October 15, 2013